Re: A7M266-D works?

From: Maksim Krasnyanskiy (maxk@qualcomm.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 15:33:25 EST

> > I'm considering to buy ASUS A7M266-D mobo and wondering if there is fix for
> > the APIC problems or is there workaround to get that mobo work? If it not
> > currently, is there some estimate if it will work in near future?
>
>The current status on the board I'm using
>
>- The BIOS appears to misconfigure the PCI setup badly, so badly I've
> been sticking in PCI quirk fixups to make some drivers work
Which board rev are you using ?
I have 1.03. No problem with PCI so far. All cards that I tried worked just
fine.

>- MP 1.4 locks solid MP 1.1 is ok - that may be a Linux bug. I have a
> patch to test there
Same for me.

>- The onboard USB was removed and swapped for a plug in card wasting
> a slot (but you do get USB2 now). The manual wasn't updated
I replaced that ASUS USB 2.0 card with Adaptec Duo Connect (USB 2.0 / 1394).
Works just fine.

>- The disk led appears to be marked wrongly. If you wire it the
> board won't POST
Yeah. You should use another one under JEN jumper.

>- If you put a 33Mhz card in the 64bit slots the board won't POST
> unless you configure the board the way the manual suggests you don't
True. It should be Jumperless + DIP SW off/off/off/off.

>- Expect to want > 400W PSU if you have lots of disks. I ended up
> using a 550W PSU
I use EnerMax 430W. IBM 40GB + WD 10GB + HITACHI DVD + IOMEGA CDRW.
Works perfectly (with the patch from Linux-IDE folks, otherwise DMA doesn't
work).

>- Use a _BIG_ case. With anything but a large tower and actual
> case fans you are not going to get enough ventilation or cable
> room
I have minitower in-win case (with the case fan). And I'm very happy with it.
CPU and chipset temperatures are just fine (41C - 51C).

>Having said all that - when you figure through the mess that ASUS calls
>QA and documentation (and they should be firing people for shipping it in
>its current state quite frankly) it goes like a bat out of hell.
I was pretty happy with packaging.
And yes it's super fast and reliable.

Max