Re: [patch] sys_sync livelock fix

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 19:39:51 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > I don't see why it should be different for applications
> > that write data after sync has started.
>
> The guarantee about data written _before_ the sync started is also being
> broken unless I misread the code

That would be very broken.

The theory is: newly dirtied buffers are added at the "new"
end of the LRU. write_some_buffers() starts at the "old"
end of the LRU.

So if write_unlock_buffers writes out the "oldest"
nr_buffers_type[BUF_DIRTY] buffers, then it knows
that it has written out everything which was dirty
at the time it was called.

Or did I miss something?