2.4.x ram issues?

From: Eugene Chupkin (ace@credit.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 20:40:01 EST

Hello,

I have a problem with high ram support on 2.4.7 to 2.4.17 all behave the
same. I have a quad Xeon 700 box with 16gb of ram on an Intel SKA4 board.
The ram is all the same 16 1gb PC100 SDRAM modules from Crucial. If I
compile the kernel with high ram (64gb) support, my system runs very slow,
it takes about 15 minutes for make menuconfig to come up. If I recompile
the kernel with 4gb support, it runs perfectly normal and very fast, but I
have 12 gigs that I can't use. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? I
tried just about everything and I am all out of options. Please help!

Thanks.

Eugene Chupkin
Systems Engineer
Credit.Com, Inc.