Re: Quick question on Software RAID support.

From: Chris Chabot (chabotc@reviewboard.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 20:47:18 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
>>1) Does the Software RAID-5 support automatic detection
>> of a drive failure? How?
>>

> It sees the commands failing on the underlying controller. Set up a software
> raid 5 and just yank a drive out of a bay if you want to test it

This is also why software raid 5 + IDE is a bad combo. It has a high
chance of locking up the IDE controller, and requiring you to power down
& fix the system before reconstruction can commence. However with SCSI
hot-swapable solutions, on-the-fly reconstruction after failure works
perfectly.

>>2) Has Linux Software RAID-5 been used in the Enterprise environment
>> to support redundancy by any real-world networking company
>> or this is just a tool used by individuals to provide redundancy on
>> their own PCs in the labs and at home?
>>

> Dunno about that. I just hack code 8)

I am using software raid 5 and several Dell PowerEdge 2550 servers
(since the hardware raid was to slow for some heavy IO operations), with
great results. We have had 5 seperate disk failures so far, and no
problems what so ever. Either the spare disk kicked right in, or after
adding the new drive, reconstruction work perfectly.

I don't know if 20 PE2550 servers qualifies as a 'enterprise' solution,

but it works great for the kinds of thing we are doing

        --Chris