Re: [patch] sys_sync livelock fix

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 19:53:04 EST

Daniel Phillips wrote:

> What's the theory behind writing the data both before and after the commit?

see fsync_dev(). It starts I/O against existing dirty data, then
does various fs-level syncy things which can produce more dirty
data - this is where ext3 runs its commit, via brilliant reverse
engineering of its calling context :-(. It then again starts I/O
against new dirty data then waits on it again. And then again.

There's quite a lot of overkill there. But that's OK, as long
as it terminates sometime.