Re: USB device driver

From: Greg KH (greg@kroah.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 20:46:23 EST

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 12:19:56AM -0800, Sanjeev Lakshmanan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I need to develop a USB device driver for a custom
> made switch. I shall give a brief description.
>
> The switch has four RJ 45 connectors for ethernet
> cables and it needs to exchange data packets of size
> 8 bytes every .5 seconds. The Transmit ethernet
> port(1,2,3,4) and Receive ethernet port(1,2,3,4)
> need to be selected for each transfer and the data
> packet which is to be sent out and received on those
> ports changes accordingly.

I don't see why you need a USB driver for a switch. Where is USB in the
above description of your device?

> Please let me know how I can start off writing the
> code for this driver.
> Also please let me know if there are any SIMILAR
> device drivers already developed and available.
>
> I am aware of the files
> usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/usb.*
> but as I have no prior experience with device
> drivers, I am unable to start off.

I think your company needs to hire some people with device driver
experience :)

> I have not yet subscribed to the list. PLease reply
> to survivor_eagles@yahoo.com
>
> Regards,
> Sanjeev.

Why did you post this to lkml and the linux-usb-users mailing lists from
two different accounts, using two different names?

Good luck,

greg k-h