Re: Disgusted with kbuild developers

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 12:25:56 EST

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:51:47AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>:
> > I would find this pathetic, if it didn't make me so mad.
> > Making an end run around the system, are we, Eric?
>
> What "system" would you be referring to, anyway, Jeff? Is there some
> reason a respected open-source developer like Dirk who has concerns
> should not have a conversation with Linus to address problems he thinks
> are significant? Is there some reason I should not have asked the kbuild
> team members to give him appropriate background?

Yeah, there is. The point of *open* source is that it is *open*, Eric.
Jeff, if I understand him correctly, is making the point that if a
system can't stand up to public scrutiny, trying to get it in by private
campaigning is lame, not the open source way, and a little bit sleazy.

The open source development model depends on peer review, you might go
back and read some of your many essays on the topic. Don't you take
commercial companies to task for doing exactly what you are doing?
Your actions are confusing, do your writings apply to other people but
not to you? If there is some misunderstanding about your actions,
please clear it up. If not, practice what you preach.

--
---