Re: Disgusted with kbuild developers

From: Dave Jones (davej@suse.de)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 17:27:00 EST

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 04:50:29PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> If that's so, then why are the likes of Jeff Garzik and Al Viro
> spending so much effort trying to make *me* into the bad guy?

 'the bad guy' probably isn't the right choice of words.
 The point being made is that you constantly refuse to listen.
 You ask for an opinion, and when something comes back that isn't
 what you expect, you run off and write something completely
 different just to appease some fabled Aunt Tilley, then come
 back and say "Ok, how about now?".

 CML2 seems to have all these wonderous features to make end-users
 happy. In writing these, you've shifted target audience from
 kernel _developers_ to kernel _users_. Concerns from developers
 were constantly ignored in favour of adding extra candy.
 And you wonder why developers don't want to read about CML2 any more?

 You know, for all its glorious features, I'd not be surprised
 to see mconfig or some other 'improved CML1' end up in 2.6
 rather than CML2.

> Time for somebody to up Jeff's Thorazine dosage...

 Increased dosages of something all around wouldn't go amiss I think.