Re: Missed jiffies

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 12:11:50 EST

> The SMI is an unbearable abomination and it is an issue that even Microsoft
> has been unable to make Intel respond to properly. It makes Rambus seem brilliant.

To be fair Intel have made it possible to pull this out into processor
control with ACPI. ACPI isnt the greatest bit of design I've ever seen (not
by far) but they addressed the problem.

The BIOS vendors duely decided that the problem was one they didnt mind
having, and it saved code. Especially anyone still doing APM support where
SMI is the only sane implementation approach