Re: scsi abort 0x2002 and eth0: too much work on a dual amd 760mpx system

From: Michael Kwasigroch (mkwasigr@intercope.com)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 12:12:06 EST

At 2002-02-13 20:26:46 "kelley eicher <carde@astro.umn.edu>" wrote:

> rik-
>
> i have done extensive cpu load + i/o testing on the 760mp machine. it
handles
> perfectly under very high cpu activity. one thing i should mention though
is
> that neither of these chipsets, amd 760mp and amd760mpx, work with multi-
> processor specification 1.4 under linux. i had several problems using
m.p.s.
> 1.4 on the 760mp in dual processor mode and the 760mpx wouldn't even boot
> with m.p.s. 1.4 enabled.
>
> as an fyi to anyone listening, the 760mpx crashed while loading any smp
linux
> kernel during apic timer calibration.
>
> so my suggestion rik, if you haven't done this already, is to change the
> multi- processor specification in your bios from 1.4 to 1.1.
>
> -kelley

I've got the Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466N) running SMP flawlessly with both
2.2.19 (io_apic.c patched) and 2.4.17 (w/ide-patch) ... and Windows 2000
Pro SP2 (;-).

In the BIOS I've left the setting to ACPI (which is the default).

- Why should one want to change that to MPS 1.1/1.4?
- What 760mpx board do you use?

I'm using an old Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI adaptor for my DAT streamer and it
also works flawlessly (although I feel there is a little bit of improvement
possible by tweaking the PCI latency).

You might want to check http://www.2cpu.com for tips & tricks getting a
dual athlon system running. I'm not connected to this site but it gave me
all the help I needed while choosing the components for my nice new system.
It is #1 for duallies!!!

P.S.: Please cc me directly on any replies since I'm not subscribed to
linux-kernel. TIA.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards

"The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up."

Michael Kwasigroch
FaxPlus/Open Development

e-mail: mkwasigr@intercope.com

INTERCOPE
International Communication Products Engineering GmbH

www.intercope.com