Re: time goes backwards periodically on laptop if booted in low-power mode

From: Nick Craig-Wood (ncw@axis.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 17:12:14 EST

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 04:54:23PM -0500, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> > I made a patch to fix this (this is its first outing). It stops
> > do_gettimeofday reporting a time less than it reported last time.
>
> I see a minor problem here...what happens if you want to reset your clock (for
> whatever purpose) to a previous time?

Sorry that was a simplified explanation above. If you examine the
patch you'll see that it can only change the time by < 1 jiffy (10ms).
However this is the interval wrongly estimated by the CPU's timer
(because the laptop's clock rate is not what the kernel thinks it is).

Ie, shouldn't be a problem.

--
Nick Craig-Wood
ncw@axis.demon.co.uk