Re: Q: use of new modules in old kernel

From: NyQuist (NyQuist@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 05:53:57 EST

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 09:02, Tobias Wollgam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how is it possible to use modules of newer kernels in an old kernel
> system?
>
> To use new drivers, we want not recompile the kernel.
>
> I tried to load the module 8139too from 2.4.17 into a 2.4.9 kernel with
> modprobe, but there are many unresolved symbols.
>
> The flag "Set version information on all module symbols" is set.
>
> TIA for all information, hyperlinks are welcome too,
>
> Tobias

<short version>
What worked for me (see later), is moving the newer module and
appropriate includes across to the older kernel and performing a make
modules && make modules_install.

<long version>
This worked for me when using a patched nm256_audio and ac97 module to
get my sound working. I couldn't get the patch to apply properly to the
whole kernel, so I nicked those files I knew were needed and moved them
over to a clean kernel. hope this helps, and yeh, I've got no idea if
this will work for you. I would first try copying the 8139too.c from
drivers/net to the 2.4.9 kernel, and if you've already setup your config
you should just be able to make modules and then insmod (with luck).
> --
> Tobias Wollgam * Softwaredevelopment * Business Unit Information
> MATERNA GmbH Information & Communications
> Vosskuhle 37 * 44141 Dortmund
> http://www.materna.de
> -

NyQuist | Matthew Hall -- NyQuist at ntlworld dot com
Sig: Microsoft sells you Windows. Linux gives you the whole house.