Re: ENOTTY from ext3 code?

From: Pete Zaitcev (zaitcev@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 16:53:26 EST

> ext3/ioctl.c:
> return -ENOTTY;
>
> Does it really make sense to return "not a typewriter" from ext3
> ioctl?

Absolutely. In fact, it's a pet pieve of mine. Lots and lots
of clueless driver writes return -EINVAL in such cases,
and I keep cleaning it up. The problem with EINVAL is that
it makes it harder to diagnose any problems that can come up.

Also, recent strerror() returns "Inappropriate ioctl for a device",
if that is your concern. Personally, I think "Not a typewriter"
was a warmer and fuzzier reference to the roots, but oh well...
Dennis giveth, TOG taketh away...

-- Pete