Re: SIS IDE driver

From: Diego Calleja (diegocg@teleline.es)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 16:53:01 EST

En Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:52:30 -0500 (EST)
Mark Hahn <hahn@physics.mcmaster.ca> escribio...:

> > latest updates about SIS Ide driver update: When I sleep the drive with
> > hdparm -Y /dev/hda
> > then the drive sleeps.
>
> are you also doing APM/ACPI sleep?
I'm using APM && apmd, but it seems it does nothing. Now I'll test without apm
module && apmd unloaded.
Well, there's a strange thing: I have two drives:
/dev/hda on /boot,
/dev/hdc on /
If i do hdparm -Y /dev/hda, without apm loaded, hda stops, i can't awake it. hdc remains working.
Now, if i do hdparm -Y /dev/hdc i can sleep && awake hdc. But sometimes, when hda is working (or not)
and with/without apm loaded the system stops, and hdc doesn't awake. I'm getting crazy.

Now when I try to mount the ide cdrom, mount keeps hanged, too.

> > Feb 15 18:13:08 localhost kernel: hda: timeout waiting for DMA
>
> classic sign that the ide interface has forgotten its state.
>
> > Drive was tuned with hdparm with the following options:
> > /sbin/hdparm -c3 -A1 -a8 -d1 -m16 -p4 -u1 -W1 -X34 /dev/hda
>
> such tuning is unnecessary and indeed possibly bad on modern kernels.
> for instance, -m is irrelevant in any dma/udma mode, as is -u.

I didn't know, i just read the hdparm manual, which doesn't says that.