Re: linux kernel config converter

From: Roman Zippel (zippel@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 07:21:59 EST

Hi,

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> FWIW a much better transition path is very close to what your tool does,
> and is a suggestion made by mec (kbuild maintainer) near the end of the
> recent flamewar: convert config.in files one at a time, like we did the
> old makefiles.

That's possible, as soon as the menu information is added, both formats
contain the same information, so a program with two parsers can handle
both simultaneously.

> That would imply a rewrite of make [old]config, and an updating of make
> menu|xconfig, to handle the new format...

I think we should just dump the old tools and implement a single config
library, which exports an interface to access the config information.

bye, Roman