Re: Dlink DSL PCI Card

From: Stephan von Krawczynski (skraw@ithnet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 12:19:50 EST

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:36:00 -0500
Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@redhat.com> wrote:

> I did some digging on the chipset used by the dlink card, and its made by the
> folks at http://www.itexinc.com/ . They claim Linux support, but only in the
> form of an infrequently updated binary only module that is only available
> through OEMs. Unfortunately, they're uncooperative in providing documentation
> for writing an open source driver. It would be Really Nice if the guidelines
> on the use of the Linux trademark prevented claims of Linux support without
> driver source (ie, forcing binary only module drivers to be marketed as
> "partial Linux support through kernel specific binary modules").

I guess I would prefer the hard line: if it states "linux support" there has to be a driver source - or at least full docs for _any_ requesting parties. Otherwise the trademark should not be useable at all. If you provide several "stages" of support, poor "Aunt Tilly" user (is this already tm'ed? :-) won't be able to understand the difference - and you distro-guys (this is not meant to be a BadName) want this type of user to a certain extent.
But this is a very purist point of view.

Beat me,
Stephan