Re: ioremap()/PCI sickness in 2.4.18-rc2

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 13:21:53 EST

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 12:49:10PM +0100, Steffen Persvold wrote:
> "Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > There is actually no need to have all three regions mapped at all times is
> > > there Jeff ? In the Scali ICM driver we actually doesn't ioremap() the
> > > prefetchable space at all because this is done with the mmap() method to
> > > the userspace clients. If you have a kernel space client though ioremap()
> > > is used, but only the parts of it that is needed (based on the number of
> > > nodes in the cluser and the shared memory size per node).
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >

> > I am not using the adapters in user space, I am using them in kernel
> > space with a distributed RAID agent and file system. This is a general
> > issue with Hugo's SISCI and IRM drivers and Linux. They all need to work
> > in every configuration. If it works with less than 1 GB is should work
> > with > 1GB of memory.
> >
> > I am looking through get_vm_area() since this is where the bug is. Your
> > Scali drivers are not the Dolphin released IRM/SISCI but custom drivers
> > you guys sell with **YOUR** software versions, and they are far from
> > general purpose.
> >

> Jeff,
>
> I really don't think you're in a position to say wether the Scali driver is

Why don't you guys just support SISCI so there's not two driver
trees? I have never seen your source code made public. If it's
general then where can I download your code. I also noticed your
implementation of the D335 drivers have some problems with our
applications.

> general purpose or not, but in any case this issue is OT. My point is that it
> is not a good idea to keep the prefetchable area mapped at all times. The ICM
> driver also has kernel clients (e.g. a ethernet emulation driver) and they only
> ioremap() the areas which is needed based upon the number of nodes in the
> cluster they communicate with (and only a few Kbytes is mapped from each node).
>
> Regards,

Not everyone uses the same model you do for cluster membership. I am
primarily concerned with keeping the same features/behaviors with
the SISCI driver base. It's the one I use.

Jeff