Re: Linux 2.4 bitkeeper repository

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 20:58:38 EST

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 05:46:54PM -0800, Davide Libenzi wrote:
> Larry, i've a question for you.
> Does BK use the same basic algos of diff+patch ?

Absolutely not.

> Or, if CVS fails a merge, what is the probability that BK will succeed on
> the same op ?

About 95% in our source base. You can actually run a script over the
tree, and retry all the merges with the CVS alg and the BK alg. The BK
alg automerges about 95% of the ones where CVS would not (could not).

These results are typical, in fact, the percentages go up as the number
of parallel developers go up.

--
---