Re: Flash Back -- kernel 2.1.111

From: Troy Benjegerdes (hozer@drgw.net)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 17:59:37 EST

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 11:51:13PM +0100, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 02:44:23PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
>
> > From: Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
> > Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:39:37 +0100

> > > The bus speed drops to 33MHz.
> >
> > Interesting. I'd expect 25 myself ... then we'll definitely need two
> > clock values in struct pci_bus - because the hi-speed one isn't always a
> > double the low one - as shown by your example.
> >
> > You only need one, the current active one.
> >
> > If you think that hot-plug is an issue, the arch dependant could would
> > need to recalculate the "current bus speed" and all would be fine.
> >
> > So why do we need two values?
>
> Oh, you're right. We indeed need only one.
>
> Hmm, now hotplug changing the PCI clock would be quite a lot of fun -
> all running drivers will need to know about the change, because some may
> need to recompute the timings they have programmed into the chips ...
>
> Because virtually disconnecting and reconnecting all the cards for which
> the timings have changed will probably not be an option.

Personally, I think hot-plugging a 33mhz pci device into a 66mhz pci bus
with other active devices on it is either user error or designer error
(should have had a bridge), and a 'virtual disconnect and reconnect' is
reasonable.

You're going to kill (or at least stop) any transactions going on on the
bus while you're physically hot-plugging anway..

--
Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer@drgw.net
-----"If this message isn't misspelled, I didn't write it" -- Me -----