Re: Emu10k1 SPDIF passthru doesn't work if CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not enabled

From: German Gomez Garcia (german@piraos.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 10:32:40 EST

On 24 Feb 2002, José Carlos Monteiro wrote:

> Hi!
> After some more careful testing, I was able to identify the exact moment
> when the changes in the Linux kernel broke SPDIF passthru of Emu10k1
> cards. I tested all the pre-patches between kernels 2.4.12 and 2.4.13
> and I found that kernel 2.4.13-pre2 was the one that broke it. Up until
> 2.4.13-pre1, everything works fine. From 2.4.13-pre2 on, passthru sound
> is broken (if kernel option CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G or CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is
> used).
>
> According to the kernel Changelog, it appears that one of these changes
> was the responsible for it:
>
> 2.4.13-pre2:
> - Alan Cox: more merging
> - Ben Fennema: UDF module license
> - Jeff Mahoney: reiserfs endian safeness
> - Chris Mason: reiserfs O_SYNC/fsync performance improvements
> - Jean Tourrilhes: wireless extension update
> - Joerg Reuter: AX.25 updates
> - David Miller: 64-bit DMA interfaces

        Does the emu10k1 driver support the new DMA interface? I've
downloaded the patch-2.4.13-pre1-pre2.bz2 from

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/testing/incr/

and checking it, it seems that the BIG change was the inclussion of
David Miller 64-bit DMA. Does emu10k1 use DMA for SPDIF output? the
main change affecting dma when HIGHMEM is enabled is in types.h, that
define dma_addr_t as a u64 instead of u32, so does the hardware in the
live or the driver (or whatever :-) support that?

        Best regards,

        - german