Re: cs46xx on ThinkPad A22m and poor quality output

From: Doug Alcorn (lathi@seapine.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 21:21:11 EST

Doug Alcorn <lathi@seapine.com> writes:

> The other problem maybe hardware. Like I said, the sound was
> crystal clear. Recently, the output sounds like I blew out my
> speakers. At first I thought it was my crappy headphones. I
> unplugged the headphones and the internal speakers sound the same
> way. It's just at the higher-levels of output (when my xmms eq
> display has lines that peak) it sounds fuzzy. The other interesting
> thing is that streamed audio sounds much worse than my actual mp3
> files. Is it possible the card got smoked?

I hate to follow up to my own post; however, I managed to get the card
working well with the alsa cs46xx driver. This would imply to me that
it's a bug in the linux kernel driver for the cs46xx (is this referred
to as the oss driver?).

BTW, someone suggested I simply turn the volume down using the
hardware buttons on the keyboard. The poor sound quality is really
irrespective of the speaker volume. Maybe this wasn't clear when I
talked about the "higher-levels of output". I'm not sure about the
right vocabulary. I guess it's the power output on the individual
frequency bands.

--
 (__) Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.net http://www.lathi.net)
 oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543