Procfs-related core dump deadlock

From: John S. J. Anderson (jacobs@genehack.org)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 17:51:00 EST

Greetings --

We've been experiencing some strange situations on our production
machines, which look identical to the problems described in
<http://lists.insecure.org/linux-kernel/2001/Dec/1539.html>.

A follow-up to that message
(<http://lists.insecure.org/linux-kernel/2001/Dec/1604.html>) mentions
that the problem is likely to be due to a deadlock associated with the
coredump process.

The first message has some quoted text claiming that the problem went
away in 2.4.10, but the poster is seeing it in 2.4.14, and we're still
seeing it in 2.4.17-aa.

Does anybody have any idea of where to start looking, or what could
have changed in the 2.4.10 -> 2.4.14 time frame that would have
re-introduced this behavior?

We're currently kludging around the problem with 'ulimit -c 0' in
relevant environments, but it would be nice to have a real fix.

john.

--
The only skills I have the patience to learn are those that have no real
application in life.  -- Calvin