Re: thread groups bug?

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 19:20:21 EST

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, David Howells wrote:

> Except that the execve() _can_ (a) change the TGID and (b) result in two
> effective thread groups of the same TGID as far as the kernel is concerned.

You're right. I did that for security reasons - making sure that nobody
can execve a suid application and then keep on sending signals to it under
the auspices of thread groups. I'd forgotten about that thing.

Maybe killing the other threads on execve _is_ the right thing after all,
if that also gives us POSIX behaviour.

Who actually maintains the pthread library? I don't think they use
CLONE_THREAD at all yet, right?

                Linus