Re: Various 802.1Q VLAN driver patches. [try2]

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 14:02:49 EST

"David S. Miller" wrote:

> From: Andrew Morton <akpm@zip.com.au>
> Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:45:39 -0800
>
> +#if defined(CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q) || defined(CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q_MODULE)
>
> Is this avoidable somehow?
>
> It's stupid to have all the overhead when vlans aren't even
> being built into the kernel.
>
> That was my original impetus.
>
> It's costly in some cases, when you have the TXDs on the chip
> you can avoid an entire PIO for each packet.

I'm pretty sure Andrew realizes this. I can see two valid complaints,

1) you don't need ugly ifdefs in the code itself -- define a no-op
static inline function for when !VLAN

2) IIRC Alan or somebody is trying to get rid of CONFIG_xxx_MODULE,
because it doesn't really cover the case of when somebody builds VLAN
"later on" as a module, but disables it initially.

--
Jeff Garzik      |
Building 1024    |