Re: vm-28 for 2.4.19pre1

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 20:23:01 EST

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 08:07:30PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> - couldn't you make inc_nr_active_pages/dec_nr_active_pages/
> inc_nr_inactive_pages/dec_nr_inactive_pages inlines?
> The current macro abuse isn't nice.

I just wanted to be sure to get the very best compilation (but yes, gcc
should be good enough anyways, so I'm fine to make it an inline instead
of a macro).

> - in mm/memory.c (the 1141 chunk) you introduced a race.

I don't think so, that's a safe and worthwhile optimization (allows
minor swapins while swapcache is under swapout, that's perfectly safe
and it helps a lot). There's no race there.

Andrea