Re: dell inspiron and 2.4.18?

From: Barry K. Nathan (barryn@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 01:19:59 EST

John Jasen wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 3700 running Redhat 7.2 with the latest updates,
> and I just upgraded to kernel 2.4.18. On random intervals, usually within
> about 10 minutes of usage, it hangs completely solid.
[snip]
> Anyway, the short form: anyone else have any problems, or have I gone
> crazy again?

My own Inspiron 5000e is running a heavily patched-up (-jam with
grsecurity and a few other things merged in) 2.4.18-based kernel with no
problems.

I installed 2.4.18-ac2 on an Inspiron 7500 today, and rpm started
corrupting its database repeatedly (rpm --rebuilddb would only fix things
until I installed or freshened a few more packages, then the corruption
would come back). Upgrading rpm to the 4.0.3 release candidate from
Rawhide, then doing another rpm --rebuilddb to be safe, made this problem
completely disappear however, and the system is otherwise totally stable
so far.

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn@pobox.com>