Re: dell inspiron and 2.4.18?

From: NyQuist (nyquist@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 11:19:20 EST

On Sat, 2002-03-02 at 16:13, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > Even though I wouldn't go so far as to call the 2.4 series stable (not
>
> it is. at least in the sense of not "locking up" under normal loads.
>
> > spent in front of the computer are dulling my senses; i've had
> > intermittent lock-ups and 'soft'-locks, where hardly any processing is
> > done. I'm running 2.4.17 on a dell dimension.
>
> apm and/or acpi active?

.config

CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set

It's quite wierd, a couple of days ago, it soft-locked several times
whilst playing a dvd (no h/w decoder so probably load problems), and
yesterday it completely slowed (to a near halt - and in the middle of
coding aswell :(). I'm now unsure whether my hdd is on the edge of
collapse (time to backup), or my old p3 500 is on the blink.

--
NyQuist | Matthew Hall -- NyQuist at ntlworld dot com --
http://NyQuist.port5.com