Waking up Non-acpi (and non-apm) compliant IDE devices

From: Derek James Witt (djw@flinthills.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 13:52:14 EST

Hey all. I just thought of something for this. I have an older Western
Caviar 36400 hard drive that disconnects once the computer goes to
sleep. Currently, I disallow sleep mode for that very reason. But
anyway, I'm curious if it's safe to do a reset of the IDE controller.
In my case, the drive is currently on primary slave. I moved it from
secondary master.

Right now, I fear if I hard-reset the IDE controller (a Via 686
UDMA100), I might also disconnect the primary master (Quantum fireball
6.4SE). That will render my box useless until I hit the the reset
button. But, if I do a soft-reset, the caviar may not wake up. I know
the quantum will wake up fine upon a soft-reset and upon resume of the
system. I'm going to try putting in interrupt 15 (secondary IDE) as a
primary power event in my bios and see if that can wake up the drive.

Oh, if you're curious, here is my fstab:

#
/dev/hda6 / xfs defaults 1 1
/dev/hda5 /boot xfs defaults 1 1
/dev/hda7 /home xfs defaults 1 1
/dev/hdb3 /usr xfs defaults 1 1
/dev/hda9 /usr/local xfs defaults 1 1

/dev/hda8 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdb2 none swap sw 0 0

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/fd0 /floppy auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0

/dev/sr0 /cdrom auto defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sr1 /cdrw auto defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0

tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda1 /win2k ntfs defaults,ro,user,uid=cappicard 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /win2k-driveE ntfs defaults,ro,user,uid=cappicard 0 0

As you probably see, if my caviar (hdb) disconnects, I'm pretty-much SOL
if I try to run X or any programs from /usr/*. And I have to resort to
SysRq to reboot the box (I hate finding a pen to hit the reset button).

I'll let you know what I find out.

--
**  Derek J Witt                                              **
*   Email: mailto:djw@flinthills.com                           *