Re: Does kmalloc always return address below 4GB?

From: David Mosberger (davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 11:44:18 EST

>>>>> On Tue, 05 Mar 2002 07:47:22 -0800 (PST), "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> said:

  DaveM> I know pci_map_single (and _sg) will use bounce buffers on
  DaveM> platforms without an IOMMU,

  DaveM> 64-bit platforms without IOMMU use HIGHMEM.

Not true for ia64 linux.

  DaveM> It could for example be solved with a GFP_32BIT flag or
  DaveM> something (on IA64 I know GFP_DMA is used in
  DaveM> pci_alloc_consistent() to get memory below 4GB but that can't
  DaveM> be used on all platforms).

  DaveM> IA64 was broken, it now uses HIGHMEM.

No it doesn't. Perhaps you meant to say that the Red Hat version of
the ia64 linux kernel uses highmem?

        --david