Re: [RFC] Arch option to touch newly allocated pages

From: Benjamin LaHaise (bcrl@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 13:30:54 EST

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:12:19PM -0500, Jeff Dike wrote:
> Really? And you're unconcerned about the impact on the rest of the system
> of a UML grabbing (say) 128M of memory when it starts up? Especially if it
> may never use it?

Honestly, I think that most people want to know if the system they've setup
is overcommited at as early a point as possible: a UML failing at startup
with out of memory is better than random segvs at some later point when the
system is under load. Refer to the principle of least surprise. And if the
user truely wants to disable that, well, you can give them a command line
option to shoot themselves in the foot with.

                -ben

--
"A man with a bass just walked in,
 and he's putting it down