Re: [opensource] Re: Petition Against Official Endorsement of BitKeeper by Linux Maintainers

From: Mike Fedyk (mfedyk@matchmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 18:01:43 EST

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 05:40:59PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 17:41, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> > It's none of your
> > f_cking business what we use to develop software. I use a hardware
> > American Arium logic analyzer and a proprietary Linux kernel
> > debugger. Should people be boycotted when they use hardware
> > analyzers to debug hardware and software with Linux.
>
> You apparently missed the fact that the the petition was not against the
> *use* of proprietary software at all. In fact, we explicitly mentioned
> that everyone is free to make that choice individually. What the
> petition is against is the *advocacy* of the proprietary BitKeeper
> software by the kernel maintainers.

Use is another way of advocacy. When you start using something, you get
used to it, and when you talk to others, you end up advocating it because
it's what you're used to, and probably other options aren't as good (to you).

IIRC, bitkeeper, is open source. It just doesn't have a free license. I
could be wrong(I haven't checked). If I am, someone will say so...

Mike