Re: [opensource] Re: Petition Against Official Endorsement of BitKeeper by Linux Maintainers

From: Colin Walters (walters@verbum.org)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 19:11:04 EST

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 18:58, Alan Cox wrote:
> Right from the start Linus has always said he isn't going to force anyone
> to use bitkeeper. End of story. If you think its free enough - use it, if
> you don't (or you just think its crap software, dont use it)

The petition never mentioned "force". And even if Linus (and the other
core maintainers) wanted to, they couldn't *force* anyone to use
BitKeeper. The issue at hand is the strong pressure the official
advocacy places on the perhipheral developers. We (the signers of the
petition), and others are unhappy with this. That's what the petition
says.

> In fact if it offends you enough to start a petition take the list of
> names you get at the end and between you go write a better one under a
> licence you prefer between the signatures.

There are already replacements under development.