Re: Recommendations about a 100/10 NIC

From: John Jasen (jjasen1@umbc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 12:36:24 EST

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Ken Brownfield wrote:

> Haven't had any issues at all with eepro100 or e100 under production
> load for years. Since Tulip went out of the mainstream (poor Digital)
> the EtherExpress has been the most stable everywhere I've been. I've
> written too many scripts for 3Com boxes that grep dmesg for "fatal"
> errors and unload/reload the 3com module.

Ran into problems with Intel EtherExpress cards under Alpha a while back,
and I've had a _lot_ of problems with the revision of the EtherExpress
built into motherboards, versus the intel or kernel drivers for them.

My stock recommendation is thus SMC EtherPower II cards.

--
-- John E. Jasen (jjasen1@umbc.edu)
-- In theory, theory and practise are the same. In practise, they aren't.