RE: [opensource] Re: Petition Against Official Endorsement of Bit Keeper by Linux Maintainers

From: Busch, Jeff (jbusch@ebay.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 01:00:14 EST

> Just wanted to throw in my two cents. I dislike clearcase.
> It's dog slow,
> doesn't support atomic updates of multiple files, and is
> generally a pain in the
> butt to use.

Yep. The kernel restrictions on ClearCase are hideous. Right now, AFAIK,
the newest supported kernel on RedHat 7.1 is RedHat's 2.4.9-6. They ship
binary-only precompiled modules and blow up if you try to use an unknown
version. If it doesn't blow up, you can only use it in a "restricted" mode
which disables dynamic views.

> Unfortunately, its the official versioning system at work and
> all new projects
> are strongly encouraged to use it.

Good luck. It's a royal pain to set up a development environment that does
not look like your production environment, especially when your dev servers
crash and lose all of their views and any un-checked-in files.

Jeff