Re: [opensource] Re: Petition Against Official Endorsement of BitKeeper by Linux Maintainers

From: Rob Turk (r.turk@chello.nl)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 02:06:31 EST

"Petro" <petro@auctionwatch.com> wrote in message
news:cistron.20020307023302.GG32504@auctionwatch.com...
> > Not to mention, why should we have to conform to the ideology of
> > the "free software" crowd ?
>
> 'Cause you can't be a rebel if you don't wear the right boots.

That's the whole difference between 'Software must be free (as in beer)' and
'Software must be good'. Embracing free software for the sake of rebelling
against commercial software means you cut your options to choose for the best
tool for the job. There's lots of good free tools out there. There's also a lot
of good commercial software out there that in some cases does a better job than
the free variants. Choose whatever gets you the best results.

Rob