Re: Why not an arch mirror for the kernel?

From: Troy Benjegerdes (hozer@drgw.net)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 11:02:39 EST

> And why Arch and not subversion? Subversion has more people working on
> it, Collab has put a pile of money into it, it has the Apache guy working
> on it, and Arch has one guy with no money and a pile of shell scripts.
> Come on. There is nothing free in this life, if one guy and some hacking
> could solve this problem, it would have been solved long ago.

I didn't include subversion because no one has volunteered help make
gateway stuff from the subversion project. Let's concentrate one gateway
setup first.

> I don't like gateways because they force everyone down to whatever
> is the highest level of functionality that the weakest system can do.
> It's exactly like a stereo system. You don't spend $4000 on really nice
> system and then try and drive it with $5 of speaker wire. It will suck,
> it's as good as the weakest part. In spite of your claims to the contrary,
> Troy, it is really not in our best interests to make a BK<->$OTHER_SCM
> gateway if that means that BK now works only as well as those other
> SCM systems. That's just stupid.

It is not my intention to force any kind of a 'lowest common denominator'
setup. Going from a system with fewer capabilities to one with greater
capabilities (i.e., currently arch->bk) is going to require some manual
intervention from $MAINTAINER.

What I'd like to see is someone volunteer to help develop gateway scripts
(where did all those patchbot people go now?). Then I'd like to see
someone volunteer to be a maintainer to run a gateway so that people that
feel arch is a better solution can use it, and those that feel BK is a
better solution can get on with life and not leave anyone out because they
may have issues with the bk license, or even real technical issues with
BK.

Obviously using arch is going to be harder, because it is nowwhere near
mature as BK is. Some people are willing to make that tradeoff.

--
Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer@drgw.net
-----"If this message isn't misspelled, I didn't write it" -- Me -----