Re: Petition Against Official Endorsement of BitKeeper by Linux M aintainers

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 14:06:17 EST

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:56:08AM -0800, Ed Vance wrote:

> > by the way, shouldn't it be "$x" in the second line ?
> > or am I missing something ?
> >
> > JL
>
> man bash
> read [-ers] [-t timeout] [-a aname] [-p prompt] [-n
> nchars] [-d delim] [name ...]

We're getting well into programming 101 and I should just shut up, but
here:

        cat > mkpatches <<EOF
        #!/bin/sh

        bk prs -hr"$1".. | while read x
        do bk export -tpatch -r$x > /tmp/patches/patch-$x
        done
        EOF

Yes, I believe you need cat and a Bourne compatible shell for the <<EOF
stuff and we really don't need a listing of all the shells in which this
will and will not work.

The point, which seems to be completely lost in the "I can program in
shell better than you" discussion, is that it is trivial to export
changes from BK as patches. Given that the world turns on patches
today, that should be the end of the discussion and insofar as I am
concerned, it is the end of the discussion.

--
---