Re: Performance issue on dual Athlon MP

From: Scott L. Burson (gyro@zeta-soft.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 18:20:48 EST

-----

-----

-----

> From: rwhron@earthlink.net
> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 17:09:51 -0500
>
> The configuration I would try first on 2.4.19pre1aa1 with 2.5 GB of RAM is
> CONFIG_3GB=y and CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y. If that causes some other problem,
> I'd go with CONFIG_2GB, then finally CONFIG_1GB.

Thanks for the replies.

The entire purpose of this machine is to run big honking Lisp jobs (which,
BTW, it does very well). I need as much user address space as I can get.
So `CONFIG_3GB' and `CONFIG_2GB' are out of the question. I might be able
to live with `CONFIG_1GB', but I can also live with the problem.

Also, given that the machine is in service, I hesitate to try prereleased
kernels. If it's thought that 2.4.19 will fix or ameliorate the problem,
I'd rather just wait for that.

But if the problem is not a known one, I am happy to do whatever I can do to
help diagnose it, as long as I can do that without more than an occasional
reboot. For instance, is there some way to get a statistical profile of
where the kernel is spending its time? Even something very rough like a
handful of samples of the PC might be revealing -- particularly if, as I
suspect, the CPUs are stuck in spinlocks a lot of the time.

BTW, this doesn't seem like a preemption issue, considering that throughput
is very definitely affected as well as latency.

Anyway, please let me know if there's anything I can do, within my
constraints, to help. (As you can guess, though, I don't have any kernel
debugging experience.)

Please CC: replies to me, as I am not on the list.

-- Scott