Re: Recommendations about a 100/10 NIC

From: Ken Brownfield (brownfld@irridia.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 20:47:58 EST

The SMC cards used to be Tulip before epic. I had the same module
problems with epic too, so we had to go to EE from Tulip when that
happened. :(

I suspect a lot of the problems depend on the motherboard or
architecture, as well as the switching hardware.

--
Ken.
brownfld@irridia.com

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 12:36:24PM -0500, John Jasen wrote: | On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Ken Brownfield wrote: | | > Haven't had any issues at all with eepro100 or e100 under production | > load for years. Since Tulip went out of the mainstream (poor Digital) | > the EtherExpress has been the most stable everywhere I've been. I've | > written too many scripts for 3Com boxes that grep dmesg for "fatal" | > errors and unload/reload the 3com module. | | Ran into problems with Intel EtherExpress cards under Alpha a while back, | and I've had a _lot_ of problems with the revision of the EtherExpress | built into motherboards, versus the intel or kernel drivers for them. | | My stock recommendation is thus SMC EtherPower II cards. | | -- | -- John E. Jasen (jjasen1@umbc.edu) | -- In theory, theory and practise are the same. In practise, they aren't. - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/