initrd problem, and a small 2.5.6 ALSA sound no-compile

From: Henrik Størner (henrik@hswn.dk)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 16:10:24 EST

This is my first attempt at booting a 2.5.x kernel.

First, sound/core/rtctimer.c doesn't compile because there is no
"err" variable defined in the rtctimer_open() routine. Adding a
simple "int err;" fixes that. The OSS drivers also do not compile;
something about "bus_to_virt" being obsolete in several files.

Is initrd broken in 2.5.x ? It seems so here, at least. I use LVM
on my root-fs, so I need the LVM initrd for the vgscan/vgchange
commands (no modules - I have it all compiled in) and this works
fine in 2.4.18.

With 2.5.6, the behaviour is different.

* If I use my normal "root=<LVM device>" in lilo, it panics claiming
  it cannot mount the root fs
* If I use "root=/dev/ram0" in lilo, the ramdisk is loaded and the
  commands in /linuxrc are executed, but then the system just
  drops to a shell - it seems it does not do the normal swicth to
  the real root-fs and execs init from there.

So, back to 2.4.18 for now ...

--
Henrik Storner <henrik@hswn.dk>