Re: linux-2.5.4-pre1 - bitkeeper testing

From: Rob Turk (r.turk@chello.nl)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 16:16:03 EST

"Hans Reiser" <reiser@namesys.com> wrote in message
news:cistron.3C8BBFCF.5010504@namesys.com...
> Itai Nahshon wrote:
>
> >On Sunday 10 March 2002 10:36, Hans Reiser wrote:
> >
> >>I think that if version control becomes as simple as turning on a plugin
> >>for a directory or file, and then adding a little to the end of a
> >>filename to see and list the old versions, Mom can use it.
> >>

> >IIRC that was a feature in systems from DEC even before
> >VMS (I'm talking about the late 70's). eg. file.txt;2 was revision 2
> >of file.txt.
> >

> Was it easy? Did people like it? Any lessons/successes?
>
> Hans

It was fabulous at that time. The first time you create a file, it gets ";1"
appended to it's filename. When you edit it, it gets saved under the same name,
this time appended by ";2". Edit it again... whell, you get the picture.
Cleaning up was as simple as "$ PURGE /KEEP=3" to keep the last three versions.

For these days with sometimes hundreds of files, it might become confusing when
'ls' shows all versions of all files, but back then it worked well.

Rob