Re: Linux 2.4.19-pre3

From: Michal Jaegermann (michal@harddata.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 22:32:39 EST

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 09:09:46AM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:

> So why does 2.4.19-pre3 work for pio at all? For the same reason that
> Andre never found this problem in 2.5 either: the taskfile interrupt
> handlers are _never_ used in pio mode. In 2.5 it was by accident, and
> when the merge happened they did indeed get used. It ate disks, very
> quickly. ...

Well, I tried 2.4.19-pre3 yesterday (Alpha with an IDE drive) and
my ext2 file system is indeed gone. I do not want to claim that this
is certainly due to an IDE driver from 2.4.19-pre3, as this is
a machine with a number still open issues and very experimental
installation, but it survived a number of very rough attempts on
file systems in the past and now it died. This _could be_ coincidental;
I did use various kernels from "ac" series on it in the past.

BTW - e2fsck made an impression that it is running in circles.
After mounting a disk from another system I have leftovers and number
of files can be read and copied but, among other things, '/lib' is
not a directory anymore. :-)

  Michal