Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 18:29:45 EST

> > We've got one. Its 0x80. It works everywhere with only marginal non
> > problematic side effects
> >

> Ok, cool but does that mean you agree or disagree with a configurable
> override for those of us in the minority?

If we put every single requested obscure fix for one or two boxes into
the kernel configuration you'd be spending weeks wading through

"Handle weird APM on Dave's homebrew mediagx"

and other questions.

Let me suggest something else. For any kernel built with TSC assumed
(586TSC +) initialize the udelay loop to something guaranteed to be at
least too long for any conceivable processor and use udelay() for the I/O
delay timing.

Alan