Re: USB-Storage in 2.4.19-pre

From: Greg KH (greg@kroah.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 18:26:17 EST

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:20:49AM +0200, Itai Nahshon wrote:
> No go. I still get that device not responding (error=-84).
> If I understand your patch, disabling hotplug and loading
> usb-storage manually shoud work. It isn't. Actually
> I believe that it never got to call hotplug.
> usbview does not see the device.

No the main problem is that usbmodules starts talking to the device
before it is initialized properly by the kernel driver, causing both
programs to get messed up, and then the device is usually in a
uninitialized state.

> I forgot to say. On one of those computers where I do the testing
> I have a USB mouse - which is working just fine.

Does that mouse work if you plug it into the same port that you are
plugging the drive into? I have noticed a lot more errors from flaky
hubs with the new code.

thanks,

greg k-h