Re: Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (APIC)?

From: Tim Kay (timk@advfn.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 11:03:46 EST

Mark,
        we have a similar problem using PowerEdge 2450s 1550s and 6400s, all our
machines are running with noapic in the lilo config which sounds like it
isn't an option for you. I'd be interested where you heard about Dell
stuffing up the setup of the APIC chip because we may be able to take this up
with them. I've had no reply from the list for the message below (maybe it
would be better posted to Kernel Traffic SMP but that's a very quiet list).
Anyway maybe the BSD diagnostics will help you investigate this.

--------------------enc---------------
Hello,
just a quickie, our Dell Poweredge boxes - Serverworks motherboard - are
continually pumping out IO-APIC errors as I've reported here before, we have
three of the same boxes running FreeBSD (limitless file descriptors per
process - sorry, we need it!) and I've just noticed that dmesg on these says
that:

IO APIC - APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
APIC_IO: Broken MP table detected: 8254 is not connected to IOAPIC #0 intpin
2
APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 and IOAPIC #0 intpin 0

Does this help anyone diagnose the error??