Re: Linux 2.4 and BitKeeper

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 14:10:22 EST

> But the thing is that if you do it my way, you _can_ have it both ways.
>
> If you do it your way, you cannot.

By "your way" you mean "the current way", right? In which case, the future
option I described is OK, right? Or am I still missing something?

> Note that there is another way to do all this too: it would be quite nice
> (and probably not too hard) to create a filesystem that exports a BK
> archive, so that you could do something like
>
> mount -o ro -tbk /home/BK/repository/xxxx xxx

I already did this a long time ago, and how the files are stored is completely
orthogonal. I used the user level NFS server and you could do a

        mount -o ro,rev=v.2.5.5 -tnfs /home/BK/repository/xxxx v2.5.5

and it worked just fine. I personally hate this because there is no way that
I have ever seen to make filesystem semantics == SCM semantics. It turns into
a hack for read/write. If it made you happy to do this for read only, hey,
there's a nice newbie project.

> > One gotcha, and we'll fix this now that I think of it, is that this only
> > greps the revision history.
>
> Oh, I've tried exactly that, and it doesn't work at all for a few reasons.
>
> Try
>
> bk -r grep torvalds

Whoops, sorry, try it with -Ur, the -U says "user files only, skip the BK crud"

bk -Ur grep torvalds
CREDITS 1.1 E: torvalds@transmeta.com
README 1.1 them to me (torvalds@transmeta.com), and possibly to any other
SubmittingDrivers 1.1 <torvalds@transmeta.com>.