Kernel Level DHCP Versus udhcp

From: Abdij Bhat (abdij.bhat@kshema.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 14:22:08 EST

Hi,
 I am deploying a Linux Network Stack. I am supposed to use a stable, fully
featured, RFC compliant, small memory foot-print DHCP client for an embedded
system. We had converged on udhcp for the client. But I have found that
there is a DCHP client implemented in the Linux Kernel ( Version 2.2.x or
later ). This I believe can be configured by choosing the "Kernel level
autoconfiguration".
 I have however practically no documentation on the Kernel DHCP Client. I do
not know how buggy it is, is it a fully featured DHCP client or is it just a
boot level DHCP client used for remote booting etc.
 Can some body help me with this. I believe it is used only for the remote
booting, with the documentation currently available to me. How correct am I?
Can I replace the udhcp client with this one? How much of a change will I
need to do for the replacement?
 I am totally confused....
 Please help...
Thanks and regards,