Re: [Lse-tech] Re: 10.31 second kernel compile

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 08:48:54 EST

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Richard Gooch wrote:

> And I can afford a few MiB of RAM for PTE's and such for *the one
> process which is mapping my huge data files*!

Once you have this, you might as well make that granularity
per VMA.

This gives you the advantage of being able to share the
mapping for libc.so ;)

>From what I can see, you'll basically want large pages
for:

1) Oracle and maybe other large shared memory situations
   where the page table overhead would otherwise be
   prohibitively high

2) scientific calculations and other programs with a huge
   dataset where TLB misses would be prohibitively slow

regards,

Rik

--
<insert bitkeeper endorsement here>