Re: Problems using new Linux-2.4 bitkeeper repository.

From: Tom Rini (trini@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 10:25:12 EST

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 06:34:29PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> lm@bitmover.com said:
> > Then you get to save them as diffs, unedit the files, and put them
> > back after the merge.
>
> I can do better than that. If I save them as diffs, I don't get to use your
> cute merge tools. I could commit them with a throwaway changelog, do the
> pull and use the merge tools, then copy the resulting files, undo both the
> pull and the previous merge, do the pull again and then lock the files and
> drop the previously-saved copies into place.

Well, what we're doing in PPC-land is we've got one tree, 'linuxppc-2.5'
which is linux-2.5 + for-linus-ppc* trees + hacks/fixes for current
problems. So when we do any work you make a clone of a linux-2.5 tree
to work in, a clone of the linuxppc-2.5 tree (to pull your work tree
into and then test). Once things are good in the linux-2.5-work tree,
you pull that into a for-linus tree and tell linus to merge that.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/