Re: I/O APIC fixed in 2.4.19-pre3 & 2.5.6 (was Re: Linux 2.4.19-pre3)

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 11:22:44 EST

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Ken Brownfield wrote:

> As a followup, this APIC patch also prevents 2.4 machines on quite a bit
> of common hardware from freezing up after a few hours to a few days of
> production use. Especially ServerWorks boards distributed by HP and
> Rackable/Tyan.
>
> This patch (applied to 2.4.18) seems to fix my long-standing (and
> oft-mentioned on LKML) I/O APIC issue with all 2.4 kernels, and I no
> longer need my "pintimer" patch to disable the through-8259A mode.

  Any chance this will cure the lockups on a Dell Latitude C600 every time
you exit X? I've disabled both the IO-APIC and APIC-uni, which was
supposed to fix the problem but didn't. Dare I hope that the disable
wasn't enough?

  A quick google tells me other people have the same problem, but I
haven't seen a working solution yet. Nice machine other than needing to be
rebooted after every use of X :-(

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc